Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Sadie

Meet our new puppy Sadie!
I love dogs! I've always been an animal lover. I've wanted a dog for a while but Jared has been adamant about not having a dog. We both didn't want an inside dog (which is tricky in Vegas). After Christmas and seeing how happy the kids were with my parent's new puppy we decided to start looking. I saw that my aunt's dog had puppies and we talked and made the decision to bring one home. My awesome aunt gave a great deal which really helped make our decision. We drove down to AZ Friday and picked her up. Then we spent Saturday with my family.
 
Choosing her name was tough. Devin and Jared wanted Russell Wilson, but I wasn't about to name my girl dog Russell. The kids just started calling her Sadie and they all agreed, so Sadie it is.
Not related to the dog, but I raided the garden right before coming home. Even though we were only there for a day, we had a nice time. Us girls got pedicures, and we went out for pizza and bowling after that.
Oh Arizona! You really are beautiful!
She is really cute! She is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (I know...it is a mouthful).
I am learning how much work puppies are! I potty trained my kids in 3 days so the thought of having to work with her for months makes me nauseous. I keep her in a kennel when we are gone or when we can't watch her. We are also working on biting...she has really sharp teeth and like a baby, she likes to bite and chew on everything including our hands. I squirt her in the face with a squirt bottle when she bites hard...have no idea if it is working or not, but everyone says as long as we are consistent she will learn.  
Our favorite thing about her....her ears!
The kids really do adore her and will hardly put her down.
If anyone has ANY advice at all lets hear it! I really don't know what I am doing here!

5 comments:

Wilkerson Weekly said...

I read a book called "My Smart Puppy"by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson. It was really helpful! Our dog, Griffin, just turned a year. The first 2 months we had him I did great at practicing basic commands several times a day. He is a good dog but he's not amazing. Since we never plan to show him I think he's good enough. He can sit, stay (for about a min only) shake hands, walk on a leash, and come when called. He's also learned not to jump on people (for the most part) and we can open the door without him bolting outside and running away. So I think that book worked well for us.

Wilkerson Weekly said...

And Sadie is ADORABLE!!!

Josy said...

We were always lucky to have a doggie door which the dogs learned to go through it and didn't have accidents..
Sadie is adorable and your kids have always loved animals so they will have tons of fun with her..

Michelle said...

She's so cute! Good Luck Val! You know I'm no help.

Brittany H. said...

Oh my goodness--adorable!!!!