Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Boston

Boston is somewhere I've always wanted to visit. So when Jared told me he might go there for work, and suggested I meet him there for the weekend, I was pretty excited! 
 
I drove the kids up to Utah on Wednesday and dropped them off with Michelle...I flew to Boston Thursday. Friday morning Jared had two more depositions so he left early. I worked out, got breakfast, then figured out the subway station and met him downtown.
 
First, we visited Harvard in Cambridge. Of course the campus and the buildings were beautiful.
Wigglesworth Hall. Not sure why this cracked me up, it just did.  
We ate at a really good burger place that was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. All the names of the burgers are pretty funny. My favorite was the Obamacare Burger...(Nobody knows what is in it...ask the liberal next to you) and the price...$trillions$
I walked around part of the city while Jared finished his last depo. I really have no idea where I was most of the time, I walked a ton (and I might add, I had on the worst shoes so my feet hurt soo bad, especially that evening)! I walked through Boston Commons--the first public park.
 
Our friend Levi told us we had to go to DC cupcakes. I've seen the show a few times...I walked over and bought one for me and Jared. Pretty good.
 At this point Jared was done with work so we drove to the Boston Temple.
After that we went back into Boston and walked around downtown, including Faneuil Hall and the North End (little Italy).   
We went to Either Mikes Pastry or Modern Pastry every night.
 Saturday we walked most of the Freedom Trail. There is so much history in Boston--I learned a lot and I loved every minute of it.
When you walk the freedom trail you follow this brick pathway through the city.
 
Make Way for the Ducklings. Jared bought Lyla the book for her birthday.
Massachusetts State House
 Paul Revere's grave.
Old North church where they hung the lanterns signaling Paul Revere's ride.  
There were quite a few churches along the freedom trail. We liked this one the most. They had like individual boxes instead of pews to sit in. I guess they rented them out to families to help pay for the church and it also kept them warm during the winter months. I just kept thinking how awesome it would be to have our kids boxed in during church.
Probably one of my favorite things about Boston besides the history, was all the old, intricate buildings and iron work. Every building had so much charm and character. You just don't see that in Vegas!
 Old State House
Where the Boston Massacre took place. Also where they read the Declaration of Independence to the people of Boston.
A really good Italian restaurant.
War memorial
 Lexington and Concord. Just the drive alone was gorgeous. We drove past a few authors homes including Louisa May Alcott and Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Henry David Thoreau.
These pictures show where the American Revolution started and where the first British soldiers were killed.
 Nex Day we finished the Freedom trail. This is Bunker Hill where the first battle of the revolution was fought. We walked to the top of the monument.
Everyone was so patriotic. Almost every house on this side of town had a flag in their front lawn.
It was pretty fascinating learning about this ship and the beginning of the US navy. I'll spare you all the details.
 Later we went on a Duck Tour. Very touristy thing to do, but I really liked it. We learned even more about the city and our tour guide was fun.  
I am pretty fascinated with WWII and have read probably hundreds of books on the war. So I was very touched by this WWII memorial. There were 6 very tall glass towers. Each one represented a concentration camp. And on the outside of each tower were the assigned numbers given to the prisoners.
The last day we took advantage of the Hubway. Even though we almost died a few times, it was so fun and a great way to get around the city.
 Our last day (I flew home in the afternoon) we drove out to Plymouth to see Plymouth Rock. It was a bit of a let down, but the drive was pretty.  
 A replica of the Mayflower.
 

4 comments:

April said...

What an amazing trip! I've always wanted to go there. I love all of the pictures. It kills me that they have a clothing stand right in front of Old State House. So wrong!

Josy said...

Very pretty place Ive never been to Boston looks like it would be worth the trip with so many site seeing...
Good time away from the kids too im sure you guys enjoyed yourselves..

Brittany H. said...

What a great getaway! As always, the photos are amazing!

Samantha Christensen said...

I love all your pictures. What a gorgeous town! And I love the family box idea at church.