Thursday, April 10, 2014

Visit from my Dad

About a month ago, I was talking to my Dad about putting some grass in our backyard. I hate, hate, hate the rocks. Jared and I are clueless when it came to what we needed to do, so I starting asking him questions about getting started. You guys! My Dad is the best. I didn't ask him to, but he took a few days off work, drove up from AZ, and helped me put a lawn in in three days. We had to clear all the rocks...which was a huge job in and of itself. Then he installed a sprinkler system. We had to get a few loads of top soil from the nursery. We worked from sunup till sundown. I was so sore. But by the time he left, it was ready for the sod (which we put in that next weekend).
I meant to take a before and after. I didn't take one before we got started, so I found this one from when we first bought out house. Our trees have grown so much!

This was about half ways through.

This is the after.


Doing this has really motivated me to do more in the backyard. Next I want to plant more trees and bushes around the perimeter. And I'm hoping to get the patio extended and covered before summer.
We also had time to make a bb gun target for Devin and can some grape jelly. He grows concord grapes and he juiced them before he came, so it was quick and easy.

I am so grateful to my Dad for his help! He is an amazing man and I've always been so proud to call him my dad. He is the hardest worker I have ever met. He is also one of the most intelligent. He knows how to do just about everything and if there is something he doesn't know how to do, he learns. He is very giving and generous.  He loves being a Grandpa and my kids adore him. Gosh, I love him! (Sorry for being so mushy and braggy...I usually keep all this stuff to myself, but I wanted the world to know how great he is!)  


2 comments:

Kristi said...

That is fantastic! I know exactly how you feel about your Dad, my Dad was the same he could do anything and taught me so much. How blessed we are to have father's like that. The best is having the memories.....

Samantha Christensen said...

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! This is so awesome! That's so great that you finally got grass. Your dad is so sweet.