Friday, July 15, 2011

Lyla's Room

There are still a few things I want to do in Lyla's room, but here is what we have so far. It is a pretty small room, and we wanted to keep the guest bed, which makes the room seem even smaller, but I really like how it turned out. I love the blue we chose--I had about 5 different blue samples from home depot and I found one I liked, but I wanted it lighter, so I added some white and painted a small piece of wood and took that in for them to match it. A few people were like, "But you're having a GIRL. What is with the blue?" I really don't know. I just didn't want pink or purple and I thought this blue looked pretty enough for a girls room.

I also read a ton of tutorials on how to do the board and batten. It was our first home project that involved power tools and it was definitely a learning experience. Thankfully my dad and brother helped us get it all up--thanks boys! And thanks to Jared for the many trips to home depot and putting up with my insanity while we figured this all out.


I painted the headboard and glazed it...I'm not 100% thrilled with how it turned out but it is going to have to wait for me to fix it until it gets cooler outside. I am still looking for some bedding and a few more pillows to tie it all together.
I lucked out and found the crib bedding online at Target for $12! Really, it was $6 for the bumper and $6 for the sheet. I really wanted something that would tie the pink and blue together and the crib bumper did that really well. I made the crib skirt from a King size sheet I bought at Walmart for $10.
I LOVE these old antique windows. There is an antique store in my hometown that sells them so now I have two in my home. I made the wreath--the same way I made my Valentines Wreath.
I got the idea for the pennant banner from some different blogs and my sister-in-law Sam. After a few chats with her on how she did it, I decided to make it and I LOVE it! It was pretty easy and since I already had a lot of fabric scraps, all I had to buy was the binding...
I actually like how it looked so much I went and made one for Adalynn's room (I made Adalynn's much simpler and it took maybe an hour and--go figure--I actually like that one more). I also used this banner in a couple photo shots I did with Lyla.
I plan on putting some pictures of Lyla on this wall once I get around to editing and printing some.
Still to do:
Find pillows for bed
Curtains
Pictures on wall

Nightstand next to bed
Find a cute light fixture


5 comments:

Samantha said...

I love the headboard!!! The glazing turned out awesome. And I love the little pennant banners. So cute. And Lexi loves the Cinderella pillow on Addie's bed.

If you only need one night stand then I would keep an eye on Craig's List. Our's always has listings for one night stand which drives me crazy because I want two matching ones for our room.

I agree you totally need curtains. You could just get a set of cheap sheet and get curtain clips and then there is no sewing.

Whenever we get a house we are so doing the same wood treament. I love, love, love the way it turned out!!! Nice work Val. Also, I love the bed skirt on the crib.

Also, I love the black pillow and the window too.

Now you just need some cute Lyla pictures on the wall.

Unknown said...

Hi

Today's generation's Parents look for giving their child with everything they can,thats why give importance to the Crib Bed Sets
for a newly born baby and they are equally passionate about getting best crib set for thier child which is highly advisable.
To keep the baby healthy and active, we should provide them with the best Bedding Sets for Cribs
which help them taking sound sleep without any dis-comfort.
There are certain things which you need to consider while buying a Baby Bedding
for your baby, you need to take care of its size, color, material, height and width, design etc.

Thanks

Michelle said...

The room looks great Val. I didn't know you guys kept the guest bed. Maybe we will have to take advantage of that sometime. Love the Room.

rachel said...

I love the antique window!! I have wanted to find some and turn them into photo frames. I think black and whites or canvases would look too cool in them. You did awesome. I also love that color of the wreath. Good job!

Kristi said...

You did a fantastic job, I think the bed looks great! The whole room looks very serene and peaceful. Look at garage sales for a night stand etc, Michelle and I had great luck finding Halle's furniture.