Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lyla's Birth


This is how it went down (for those of you who care).
Monday I had my Dr appointment and she told me that she would be on call Tuesday and as long as I was having any regular or strong contractions I could go to the hospital (the baby was low and I was dilated to a 6 so she assured me they wouldn't turn me away).
That night I went on a long walk and was having contractions about every 5-10 minutes but as soon as I stopped walking, they went away.

The next morning I decided I would take the kids to Cars 2, then walk around the mall if things weren't progressing. Of course I don't think I had one contraction that entire morning so we headed to the mall after the movie. I had a few as I was walking around, but nothing strong or regular. I decided to just call my Dr. and ask what she wanted me to do. She told me to find someone to watch the kids and head over to labor and delivery.

We dropped the kids off at Steph's house and made our way to the hospital. It seemed to take forever for them to check me and then they had to monitor my progress for an hour before they would call my doctor. I didn't have any contractions while I was waiting, but my awesome doctor told them to keep me and start me on pitocin. They started that at 6:30.

Labor was super easy---I was at about an 7 or 8 when I got my epidural. I wasn't in much pain so I felt like a wimp getting one before I was really uncomfortable, but I didn't want to wait too long and not be able to get one. I pushed once and she was here. She was born at 10:02.




The rest of our hospital stay was pretty typical. They took Lyla for a couple hours to give her a bath and brought her back to me at maybe 2 or 3 in the morning. I almost couldn't sleep because I wanted to hold her and look at her--I was very excited :)



Jared brought the kids the next day to meet Lyla. They were so cute. They walked in and I think the first thing Adalynn said was "Why are you wearing that?! (referring to my hospital gown). They were both concerned that I had a bandaid on my hand from the IV. And they were both so excited to meet their new little sister. Devin especially wanted to hold her and look her over. Adalynnn was a bit more indifferent. They had so many questions, like...
"Why does her poop look like that?"
"Why does she have poop on her tummy?" (Referring to the umbilical cord)
"Why is she eating your boob?"
Those were just a few.

They both love her and are quite smitten.
Here are some more pictures from the hospital and day we came home...


Indiana Jones meets Lyla...




 Addie loves her but is fascinated with her eyes and is always trying to poke them.










 I have a lot of Devin holding Lyla pictures. He does so well and I feel comfortable enough to get the camera and take pictures. It seems like when Adalynn is holding her I need to stay close, hence not as many pictures of the girls.



I have so much more to post from her first week, but I just want to hold her and do nothing else. We are all just eating her up.


3 comments:

Samantha said...

YAY!!! More Lyla pictures. I have been checking your blog all day.

I have to say Indiana Jones meets Lyla the cutest thing ever!!!

Samantha said...

The first picture of Addie holding Lyla is the cutest thing ever! It really makes me ALMOST want to have another baby just for Lexi to hold.

And the girls totally have the same adorable nose.

Brittany H. said...

Don't worry about posting--enjoy EVERY SECOND!! Your family is so cute. Congratulations to all of you!!!