Saturday, July 31, 2010

Addie's Paw-ty

This will be my last "Addie turning 2" post! I promise! I have never really done birthday parties for the kids. Mainly because at first they are too young to really care and then also because Devin has his birthday right around Thanksgiving which is a crazy busy time of year and most people are out of town. I decided to have a little party for Adalynn this year and invited just a few of our favorite people. After today I still think she is a little young to care, but it was still fun. I went with a dog theme--this girl has loved dogs ever since she was a baby. I like that there are so many cute ideas out there--believe me, everything I did was someone elses idea--I just happened to come across it on the handy dandy Internet and I am a huge copycat.

And I took a lot of pictures before the party and hardly took any during the party--I wish I had taken more of the kids--I was just thinking about a hundred other things and keeping them entertained. Oh well.

The Invitation

I love that a few people were like, "Huh. What? 14?!" Kill me now when I have a teenage girl in the house.

(Cant find it!)



As soon as the kids arrived they each adopted a puppy.




Once everyone showed up we had a dog bone hunt..basically an Easter egg hunt but with dog bones I bought at the dollar store. The bones very much blended in with our desert landscaping and it was hot and humid but it was a good way to kill a few minutes.
After the dog bone hunt, the kids came in and painted their doghouse. I found these at Michaels and thought they were so cute, plus they came with the little doggies I had been looking for. I am so glad all the moms came because there is no way I could have painted with all those kiddos. Some of them really got into it and enjoyed it, and others (like Devin) were done in 3 minutes.



 We played pin the paw on the dog.
I made puppy ears for everyone and I wish I had gotten pictures of all the kids wearing them (most of them only left them on for about 15 seconds anyways). I took these after the party. I told Devin to act like a dog and he really got into it.

 Then it was time to eat!! We had hot dogs, a fruit and veggie tray, scooby snacks, chips, cake pops and caprisuns.


 Next we sung happy birthday to Addie and had out paw print cupcakes made out of junior mints and chocolate chips.

 We ended the party with Addie opening her presents and breaking open the pinata Steph brought.



The goodie bags--I found these cute bowls at the dollar section at Target. We made puppy chow the day before and each kid got to take one home with them. I love the free dog bone font I found--and isn't the ribbon cute!



Once everyone started leaving, JoAnn, Steph and I decided we needed a picture of all the kids (minus baby Andrew) before JoAnn and Ben moves. I swear I took 20 pictures...don't you love what I got?




I think this last picture is the ONLY picture I have of all three of us with all the kids. These ladies are my best friends and all our kids are good friends as well. JoAnn is moving to Utah in a few days and we are going to miss her so much--we have spent hours and hours together at the pool and parks and getting to know each other and I'm seriously getting teary eyed as I type this. Having good friends in a place where you have no family has made such a difference to me. Also, Devin has a serious crush on JoAnn. Any time we go anywhere he will ask "Is JoAnn going to be there?" And the other day we had this conversation...

Devin: Mom, what is a sleepover?
Me: It is where you have a friend come over and spend the night.
Devin: Oh. I want to have a sleepover with JoAnn!
I thought he meant Alyssa, but when I asked if he meant Alyssa, he told me "No. JoAnn."
We will miss you and the whole fam.
And plan on us knocking on your door up in Utah--we are up there a lot.
Just in case you were wondering--(pictured left to right) Andrew, JoAnn, Alyssa, Hannah, Steph, Aubrey, Devin, Me, Adalynn)


(And Steph. Hannah was like this in every picture. Haha.)

14 comments:

Michelle said...

The party looked like a huge success. I love how you have a studio that you can just move the kids into to get pictures of the birthday gang. Can't wait to see you guys.

Brittany H. said...

Who are you?! That is the cutest idea ever, and it looks so wonderfully executed! Seriously, you inspire me. The picture are great!

Kiley said...

that is the cutest party ever!!

Chris & Christine said...

Girl, you are getting so good at pictures. I can't wait to see how mine turn out!

Love the party....all of "your" ideas were too cute. I envy practically everything you do! I'm taking notes for when my time comes! :-)

Katy said...

SO. CUTE. SOO CUTE! I'm totally going to remember your ideas and especially those cupcakes - what a simple, but adorable idea!

Kittyrunner said...

Valerie, I teared up when I read this, too. :( I really miss you guys!!! I hope you do call us when you're here and we can visit and catch up (especially since I never am able to get on our computer to blog these days!!!)

Amanda said...

This is easily one of the cutest kids parties I've seen. You took a theme and really went with it in a fun way. I especially love the little dog houses and how they got to "adopt" a puppy. Too cute :)

Kim @ Party Frosting! said...

super adorable! I love the adopt a dog and what a great activity to decorate the dog houses! great job!

hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!
party inspiration

Trina said...

Oh my gosh,I love the "Adopt your puppy" thing and how they get to paint and decorate there own dog house!I will have to do it for my little girls party,because she has been wanting a puppy party!But any way thanks for the idea!

The York Family said...

Hi! I am planning a puppy party for my one-year-old, and I was wondering where you found the free dog bone font? I found your cute blog through Pinterest, and I plan on copying some of your puppy party details! Thanks!

Mama2two said...

Hi,
Found a pic of your party on pinterest. I'm planning a dog party for you son. Love the ears you made, how did you do that?
Love too the bone font and paw ribbon.
Thanks for sharing!

Andrea said...

So cute! Where are the plush "adoption" dogs from?

RLW said...

Love this theme for a party! My son is turning 3 in a few months and I'm getting a jump start on planning but I'm having a hard time finding cute plush dogs, where did you find yours?

Thanks for sharing your ideas and pictures! :)

Valerie Christensen said...

For those of you wondering, I got the plush dogs at the dollar store.